The global medical membranes market is forecast to reach USD 4.93 Billion by 2032, Medical membranes have a significance in the healthcare sector due to its applicability in life-saving treatment procedures. The market is expected to witness a considerable growth during the forecast period. The primary use of medical membranes remains in separation technique wherein some of its major applications are associated with purification, concentration, and separation.
Materials ranging from polypropylene, polyethylene, polymethyl pentene (PMP), cellulosic, nylons, carbons, ceramics, and fluoropolymers to polyamides in flat film or hollow fiber configurations can be coated and made into advanced composite membranes. Membrane surfaces can contain amino groups, hydroxyl groups, sulfoxides, as well as nanocoatings of silicones, fluoropolymers, fluoro silicone, and hydrocarbon polymers or grafted gels. Continuous rise in investment in R&D activities by major market players is contributing to the development of membrane technology for specific needs, which in turn is propelling the expansion of the market. Integration of various other factors are also supporting the expansion of the market. One of these mentionable factors being changing lifestyle and the associated rise in the occurrence rate of chronic diseases like diabetes, and renal failure, among others. The increasing prevalence of these chronic diseases results in rising the demand for medical membranes.
Though the application of medical membranes remains integral for the healthcare industry, factors like delivering quality products in a limited budget and life span of the membrane may act as a barrier in the growth of the market.
In context to region, North America occupies a dominant portion of the market share. Presence of sophisticated healthcare industry, technological advancements, and increasing demand for medical membranes contribute to the market share held by this region.
Key Coverage of the Report
- Estimation of the market size along with historical and forecasted trend analysis.
- Various types’ of alternatives available have been analyzed. Statistical analysis has been conducted on obtaining the individual share of these segments.
- The regulatory framework of each region.
- Regional up-coming research and application outlook.
- Status of on-going developments.
- Regional prevalence of medical membranes has been mapped.
- Demand and Supply GAP Analysis
- Regional Competitors Pricing Strategy
- Market share analysis of the top industry players
- Strategic recommendations for the new entrants
- Market Trends (Drivers, Constraints, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, Investment Opportunities, and recommendations)
- Strategic recommendations in key business segments based on the market estimations
- Competitive landscaping mapping the key common trends
- Company profiling with detailed strategies, financials, and recent developments.
Salient Trends of the Medical Membranes Market
- The medical membranes market is projected to witness a CAGR of 0.0743 during the forecast period and reach USD 25 Billion in 2028.
- Market player’s initiative of strengthening their market position, have a significant impact on the expansion of the overall market. One such instance being, Danaher Corporation’s acquisition of Pall Corporation in July 2015. The acquisition would be beneficial not only for Pall Corporation in taking the benefit of the financial position of Danaher Corporation but Pall Corporation would be able to utilize its expertise in the filtration market in an enhanced manner.
- Significant developments can be seen to be made in medical nanotechnology. One of such mentionable development is the new class of biomimetic nanoparticles. It combines the benefits of artificial and natural nanomaterials, thus resolving the issue of damage of synthetic nanoparticles by the body's immune system. The development of such technologies helps in expanding the area of application of medical membranes.
- Regions like China and India can be further explored by the manufacturers of medical membranes market, which holds significant scope for expansion of the market. In the mentioned regions, a rise in the number of dialysis centers, an increase in chronic diseases and favorable government initiatives can be noticed. Thus, further exploring these regions would not only be beneficial for the manufacturers, but it would also help in market expansion.
Companies considered and profiled in this market study
Sartorius Ag, Asahi Kasei Corporation, 3M Company, Pall Corporation, Merck Millipore (Emd Millipore), Hangzhou Cobetter Filtration Equipment, Ge Healthcare, Microdyn-Nadir GmbH, Koch Membrane Systems and W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
The companies have utilized different strategies like mergers, acquisitions, new product launches for enhancing their market expansion and tap the untapped market.
- The valuation for the medical membranes market was USD 2.79 Billion in 2020, and it is forecasted to have a growth rate of 0.0743 during the forecast period.
- In context to Material, the market has been segmented into Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF), Polysulfone (PSU) & Polyether Sulfone (PESU), Polypropylene (PP), Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), Modified Acrylics and Others. Among these segments, Polysulfone (PSU) & Polyether Sulfone (PESU) segment is leading the market occupying the largest market share of 29.0% in 2018 with a CAGR of 7.6% during the forecast period. The market share held by this segment is attributed to its extensive application in biotechnology, pharmaceutical, healthcare sectors, and life sciences.
- While discussing Material, it is mentionable here that the PTFE segment is projected to witness the fastest growth rate of 9.2% during the forecast period, which is expected to occupy 16.0% of the market by 2028. Applicability of this type of material in varied application areas ranging from urine collection, drug delivery, and laparoscopic surgery contributes to its growth rate.
- In regards to Scope, the market has been segmented into Diagnostic use and Therapeutic use. Between these segments, the Therapeutic segment held a larger market share of 67.0% in 2018, with a growth rate of 6.3% during the forecast period. The growth rate experienced by this segment is attributed to the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and associated increased demand for therapeutic treatments.
- In context to Process Technology, the market has been segmented into, Microfiltration (MF), Ultrafiltration (UF), Nanofiltration (NF) and Others. Among these four segments, the UF segment is occupying the largest market share of 45.0% in 2018, with a CAGR of 7.7% during the forecast period. The market share held by this segment is the result of its effectiveness in the concentration of essential protein fractions like globulins and albumin or elimination of salt and alcohol from these fractions. It is particularly applicable when methods like the Cohn process or other new techniques are used to fractionize human plasma. The mentioned effectiveness of UF has resulted in its extensive application in the healthcare sector, contributing to its occupied market share.
- In context to region, North America is dominating the market that occupies the largest market share of 40.0% in 2018 with a CAGR of 0.0743 during the forecast period. Presence of sophisticated healthcare industry, technological advancements, and increasing demand for medical membranes contribute to the market share occupied by this region.
Segments Covered in the report:
This report forecasts revenue growth at a global, regional & country level, and provides an analysis of the industry trends in each of the sub-segments from 2023 to 2032. For the purpose of this report, have segmented the global medical membranes market according to Material, Scope, Process Technology, Application, and Region:
Medical Membranes Market Report Scope
Segments covered By Material Type Outlook, Scope Type Outlook, Process Technology Type Outlook, Application Type Outlook, Regional Outlook
By Material Type Outlook
Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF)
Polysulfone (PSU) & Polyether Sulfone (PESU)
By Scope Type Outlook
By Process Technology Type Outlook
By Application Type Outlook
Iv Infusion & Sterile Filtration
Middle East & Africa